Dear Solomon Family--
I am pleased to announce that we will be able to offer Solomon Summer Camp to students currently in grades K through 7th. We are able to offer this programming as a result of federal money provided to schools in Chicago Public Schools to ensure that students stay engaged in learning this summer.
- 2 weeks in July (Monday through Thursday): July 19-22 and July 26-29
- 9am-11:50am each day
- It will be a rotation of classes where each student group will receive reading, arts, and sports enrichment programming. Programs will be led by Solomon staff.
- The courses are:
Reading Enrichment with Mrs. Sartain: A series of well planned learning experiences focusing on the love of reading through read alouds and writing prompts. Students will be exposed to engaging texts and discuss these stories focusing on the main comprehension strategies: Making Connections, Inferring, Visualizing, Asking Questions, Determining Importance, Synthesizing, Monitoring Understanding, and Using Fix-Up Strategies.
Music and Art Enrichment with Mrs. Stirling: This class offers choice-based activities that focus on music and visual arts integrated activities to inspire fun & creativity!
Sports Skills with Mr. Delgado: Students would participate in activities that focus on building communication, teamwork, leadership and confidence. Students will work on developing and improving these skills through sports and free play.
- Students in grades K through 7th are eligible to sign up. The courses will be split into primary, intermediate, and upper groups, with exact grade levels to be determined by the distribution of those who sign up.
- Students can sign up for only one week so that we can accommodate as many Solomon students as possible.
- Class sizes are currently capped at 15 students.
- All classes will be held outside on Solomon's campus, due to onsite construction through the summer. Students will have access to a bathroom inside the building. We will be developing an inclement weather plan and share with enrolled families prior to the start of programming.
- There is no cost for this programming.
For your next steps, if you are interested in signing up your child for this program, please complete this form
no later than Tuesday, June 22. Signing up is not a confirmation of being enrolled in Solomon Summer Camp. A confirmation of enrollment in Solomon Summer Camp will come no later than Thursday, June 24. Students that are not enrolled will be placed onto a waitlist that we will update through the summer.
This is a first-time endeavor for us, and we are excited about a different way to engage with our students over the summer. Plus, it gives students more opportunities to socialize in person. This camp is highly recommended for students that did not participate in in-person learning at Solomon this year. All current health and safety protocols currently in place will apply for the summer camp. If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact me or our Solomon Summer Camp Coordinator, Mrs. Tamborino, at 773-534-5226 or email@example.com
Hannah G. Solomon Elementary School